Saturday 7 November 2009

"seperated": june

"Go away then. Stay away. You don't love us. You love the "zone" you're in." Franky blames everything on her mother for all the trouble happening in her family. Frankys Mom is spending more and more time in Skagit Harbor in her little "cabin". In this chapter it is also said that they didn't miss their mother. This really made me mad when I read this chapter. I feel sympathetic with Krista because I don't think that it's her fault. I think that Krista is just doing what makes her happy. She loves arts, which is very important in her life, but she is not able to develop her creativity in this modernist house, which looks more like a hospital and a husband who acts like a robot.
"I stopped bringing my friends home. With Mom away, the house was deadly quiet like a museum nobody ever visits."

Krista has a weird habit. She is always turning her silver ring nervously around her finger. The ring is a symbol for her marriage with Reid. To my mind her habit might stand for her uncertainty towards her marriage.

Reid brings other woman home when Krista is gone. They are all blond, glamorous, and years younger than Krista. They look like TV news or weather girls, like models. They stand for the life-style Reid likes and they even fit in the modernist house. Krista doesn't fit in his schema any more.

This is another thing I found interesting in this chapter:
"The thought came to me I wish I was that young." I don't understand why Franky wants to be younger. She is only sixteen and she wants to be younger than that? Most teenagers want to look older and do things that adults do but she wants to be a child again. Another thing I don't understand is when Reid twisted Samanthas (Frankys little sister) wrist just because she wanted to know if they could visit their Mom and Franky just said that she felt sorry for her sister but it was her fault since she provoked him. I think that is really weird that she always lets her father get away with everything just because he is the famous Reid Pierson. I am looking foward to the moment when Franky is finally going to put up some resistance to her father.

Vocabulary: sophomore (n) AE student in the second year of a course at a college or university to be sympathetic with sb. to care and feel sorry about sb.'s problems overdue (adj.) unfinished by the time expected bang around move around a place making a lot of noise to impact on sth. to affect, have an effect on to butt in to interrupt to commute to travel to and from work to eavesdrop deliberately listen to other people's conversations To take after sb.

No comments:

Post a Comment